WORKSHOP ON LOBSTER ECOLOGY
20 - 22 July 2004
Place: Institute of Oceanography, Nha Trang, Vietnam
Organizers: CSIRO Division of Marine Research, Australia
Institute of Oceanography, Nha Trang, Vietnam
Sponsor: ACIAR Fisheries Program. Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research
Australia : CSIRO Marine Research, QDPI Northern Fisheries Centre Philippines: Marine Sciences Institute, University of Philippines, Provincial Agriculture Office, Capitol Complex, Pagadian,
Malaysia: Dept. of Fisheries, Sabah
Vietnam: Institute of Oceanography, Research Institute of Aquaculture 3, University of Fishery.
Session 1: Exploitation of the wild tropical spiny lobster resources of the South China Sea Chairman: Dr. Kevin Williams, CSIRO Marine Research, Cleveland, Australia
1. Status of spiny lobster resources of the Philippines by M. A. J. Menez and R..R.. Gotanco - Marine Science Institute, University of Philippines, Philippines.
2. Status of spiny lobster resources in Sabah waters by R. Biusing and C. F. Lin, Department of Fisheries, Sabah, Malaysia.
3. Current status and exploitation of wild spiny lobsters in Viet Nam waters by N. B. Thuy and N. B. Ngoc - Research Institute for Aquaculture No. 3, Nha Trang, Viet Nam.
Session 2: Lobster aquaculture in the Philippines & Viet Nam Chairman: Dr. Clive, QDPI & F, Cairns, Australia
1. Sustainable farming of spiny lobster in Western Mindanao, Philippines by J. Arcenal, Provincial Coordinator, R & D Fisheries Division, Zamboanga Del Sur, Philippines.
2. Present status of lobster cage culture in Viet Nam by L. A. Tuan, N. D. Mao, University of Fisheries - Nha Trang, Viet Nam.
Session 3: Lobster ecology and stock assessment
Chairman: Dr. Kevin Williams, CSIRO Marine Research, Cleveland, Australia
1. Ecology and stock assessment of the ornate rock lobster (Panulirus ornatus) population in Torres Strait, Australia by D. Dennis, CSIRO Marine Research, Cleveland, Queensland.
2. Modeling the transport of ornate rock lobster larvae Panulirus ornatus in East Australian waters by D. Griffin, CSIRO Marine Research, Hobart, Australia.
3. Some type hydrodynamical characteristics of the sea of Viet Nam and adjacent waters by B. H. Long, Institute of Oceanography, Nha Trang, Viet Nam.
4. Larval dispersal simulation of the spiny lobster (Panurilir ornatus) in the Philippines using merged altimeter-derived absolute dynamic topographies byC. Villanoy, Marine Science Institute, University of Philippines, Philippines.
Session 4: Towards more sustainable South China Sea lobster aquaculture
Chairman: Dr. Clive, QDPI & F, Cairns, Australia
1. Mussel and lobster co-culture: A tool for providing live feed and improving environmental quality for lobster aquaculture in Viet Nam by P. T. Du, D. H. Hoang et al., Institute of Oceanography, Nha Trang, Viet Nam.
2. Key issues for sustaining aquaculture production of the spiny lobster, Panulirus ornatus, in Viet Namby J. D. Bell, WorkFish Center, Penang, Malaysia.
3. Knowledge gaps and research needs to ensure sustainability of South China Sea tropical spiny lobster stocks by K. Williams, CSIRO Marine Research, Cleveland, Australia.