1. Project title: MARE: Marine Coastal and Delta Sustainability for Southeast Asia
Grant number: 610327-EPP-1-2019-1-DE-EPPKA2-CBHE-JP
Partnership Agreement number: 2020-UniHB-VNIO-001
MARE is in the framework of the Erasmus + program of the European Union (EU) with the participation of 13 member universities:
· P1: University of Bremen (UNIHB) - Germany
· P2: University of Catania (UNICT) - Italy
· P3: Estonian University of Life Sciences (EMU) - Estonia
· P4: National Research Council (EMU) - Italy
· P5: Ho Chi Minh City University of Natural Resources&Environment (HCMUNRE) - Vietnam
· P6: Vietnam Maritime University (VMU) - Vietnam
· P7: Can Tho University (CTU) - Vietnam
· P8: Centre for Marinelife Conservation and Community Development (MCD) - Vietnam
· P9: Institute of Oceanography (VNIO) - Vietnam
· P10: Universiti Kuala Lumpur (UniKL) - Malaysia
· P11: Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) - Malaysia
· P12: Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS (UTP) - Malaysia
· P13: Universiti Malaysia Terengganu (UMT) - Malaysia
3. Members in VNIO:
- Administrator: Dr. Dao Viet Ha
- Coordinator: Mr. Phan Minh Thu
Assoc. Dr. Bui Hong Long
Dr. Huynh Minh Sang
Dr. Nguyen Kim Hanh
Dr. Pham Thi Mien
Ms. Nguyen Thi My Ngan
Ms. Bui Thi Minh Ha
Mr. Ngo Manh Tien
MARE aims to develop adaptive, end-user-oriented and internationally-relevant curricula to support sustainable management and governance of coastal and adjacent marine areas of partner countries: Malaysia and Vietnam, and to create sustainable feedback mechanisms to end-users, ensuring practical relevance of teaching contents and knowledge co-production opportunities.
5. Priority issues:
· Coastal science and management: science, management, technology and policy issues related to the coastal zones and land-sea interactions in general; particular attention will be based to adaptive co-management and policy and technological innovation in support to adaptation plans; another major focus is tourism and urbanisation, and integrative solutions for addressing these challenges.
· Delta science and management: science, management, technology and policy issues related to delta areas, particularly targeting Mekong and Red River (VN); the foci will be on urbanisation, sustainable agriculture and aquaculture, pollution prevention and control, and sustainable regional and urban planning informed of ecosystem services and nature-based solutions.
· Area-based management: the focus is on policy and management instruments, such as marine protected areas, pollution control zones, or fisheries closures, and other institutional frameworks and marine spatial management tools, which are in use or under development in order to ensure sustainable governance of marine resources and to prevent potential conflicts.
· Fisheries, seabed resources & food security: science, management, policy and technology in support sustainable fisheries and sustainable seabed management; the theme further involves such governance aspect as interactions of actors, drives and impacts relevant for sustainable management of marine bioresources, trade-offs it involves (e.g. related to aquaculture, biodiversity conservation, urbanisation and tourism, navigation and harbour development).
· Offshore exploration & mining: science, management, technology and policy in support to sustainable offshore mining and exploration, recognising the scale and importance of the issue in MY and its growing importance in VN; a particular attention will be on interactions and trade-offs with other MARE themes.
6. Project duration: 3 years, from Jan. 2020 - Dec. 2023
7. Total budget of Project: EUR 968.844
9.2. Online meeting in June 2020
9.3. Onsite meeting in Can Tho University, 17-19 September 2020
9.4. Revise the course of Marine ecology for BSc, level.
9.5. Development the course of River-Sea Interaction for BSc, level.
9.6. Development the course of Fishery Oceanography for BSc, level.
9.7. Involve teaching in HCMUNRE
9.8. Onsite meeting in Nha Trang on 7-9 May 2022
9.9. Participant online training on Learning Management System on 19-20 August 2021
9.10. Participant online summer school on “Sustainability science and management for resilient coastal communities and fishing stocks” on 1-14 November 2021.
9.11. Meeting in Catania, Italy in May 2022
9.12. Ebook activities (chapter 4 and 7)
9.13. Onsite meeting in HCMUNRE on 5-7 September 2023.
Kick off meeting in Bremen, 18 – 20 Feb 2020