VIETNAM ACADEMY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
INSTITUTE OF OCEANOGRAPHY
95 Years of Dedication to Marine Science (1922 – 2017)
International Scientific Forum - Conference “Bien Dong 2017”
“Science for Blue Growth In the South China Sea”
12-14 September 2017, Nha Trang, Khanh Hoa, Viet Nam
Hosted and organized by: Institute of Oceanography,
Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology
Bien Dong is one of the world’s richest marine biodiversity marginal seas, holding some one third of the entire world's marine species. Bien Dong is high abundant and diverse in marine resources, and also extremely significant in a geopolitical sense. However, Bien Dong is being challenged in enormous environmental and resource issues, which are transboundary, spreadingly impacting from the coast to the open ocean. Thus it has been increasingly attracting research interests not only from the countries surrounding the Bien Dong, which are depending largely upon its natural resources, but also from countries from the other parts of the world.
During its 95 years of development, in cooperation with Vietnamese and foreign partners, the Institute of Oceanography has carried out series of investigations and researches and achieved significant knowledge on Bien Dong oceanography, biology, environment and resources, making remarkable contribution to sustainable marine development and conservation of biodiversity and environment in Bien Dong.
The Scientific Conference “Bien Dong” was first organized in 2000, followed by the second in 2002, and then repeated every five years. The conferences were aimed to providing chances for syntheses and presenting scientific reasearch, places for marine managers and scientists to meet and discuss concerned themes in marine science and environment problems, and to promote cooperation on marine science in this region. The Scientific Conference “Bien Dong” beginned to extend to a broader international scientific and non-scientific audiences since 2007.
On the occasion of its 95th anniversary (14/09/1922 – 14/09/2017), the Institute of Oceanography, Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology is going to organize the fifth International Scientific Forum-Conference "Bien Dong 2017", to review the research results and achievement on Bien Dong over the last five years, advancing marine scientific knowledge and promoting international cooperation toward a blue economy in this region.
The Forum-Conference includes two main parts, that are one and a half day of Conference; and one day of Forum.
- To synthesis, present, and exchange the results and achievement in marine research on Bien Dong over the time.
- To provide a platform - an academic environment for Vietnamese and international managers, scientists and enterprises to discuss, exchange and share experience, information and ideas on research cooperation and technology application for sustainable marine economic management and development;
- To promote international cooperation on marine science toward a sustainable blue development in Bien Dong;
- Marine Biodiversity and Resources
- Marine Biology and Aquaculture
- Natural Hazards and Environmental Risks
- Oceanographic Processes and Marine Engineering
- Marine Geology and Chemistry
- Coastal and Ocean Management
- International cooperation on marine science
- The integration of science and businesses in marine economic development
- Science for a sustainable development
Dates and Venue: The Forum-Conference will be held from 12 – 14 September 2017 at the Institute of Oceanography, 01 Cau Da, Nha Trang city, Khanh Hoa province, Viet Nam.
Language: English and Vietnamese will be the official languages in the Forum-Conference.
Call for papers and deadlines:
- 15 May 2017: Registration deadline
- 15 June 2017: Submission of abstracts. Second Announcement
- 30 June 2017: Notification of acceptance for oral/poster presentation. Submission of full manuscript
- 15 August 2018: Final Announcement
Completed registration form should be sent to the Secretariat before 15 May 2017
(made online at the Forum Conference website: www.vnio.org.v/biendong2017
Contact address: Forum Conference Secretariat
Institute of Oceanography
01 Cau Da, Nha Trang, Khanh Hoa, Vietnam
Tel: (84-58) 3590035 Fax: (84-58) 3590034